I don’t know about you but this winter as me craving comfort food like nobody’s business. All things creamy, decadent, savory, and sure to put a person in a food coma.
I consider myself a healthy eater but I’m learning that when a craving hits for something like mac and cheese, it’s better to just indulge (within reason) and let myself savor every bite.
I also like to make some subtle but healthier changes like sneak veggies in my mac and cheese and use whole wheat noodles. #fiberforlife
I also like throwing out hashtags at random.
I called this “easy” baked mac and cheese because there is no cheese sauce making required. Thaaat’s right, no melting of butter, whisking in of flour, adding in of milk, thickening of sauce, and melting of cheese. But don’t worry, you won’t lose that cheesy comfort you know and love.
Easy Baked Mac & Cheese; adapted from Whole Foods
- 1/2 lb (8 oz.) elbow macaroni (I used whole-wheat)
- 12 slices cheese of choice (I found gouda slices and used those bc that’s my hubby’s fave and it gives this dish great flavor. I also think that pepper jack would be really great or a smoked cheddar, yum!)
- 1/4 c. finely diced onion
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can peas, rinsed or 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1 c. milk (I used almond milk and it worked fine.)
- a good pinch of pepper
- crackers, crushed for crumb topping
- 1 T. butter, cut in small pieces