I’ll never forget the first time I tried edamame. I didn’t know what it was and started chewing the whole thing (shell & all) at lunch one day with my co-worker. We were at an Asian restaurant and they served edamame as an appetizer.
“Don’t eat the shell!” she cried as I was chomping away. Let’s just say it’s difficult to gracefully discard edamame shells from your mouth.
Despite this experience, I got hooked on edamame as a snack. It’s great with just salt sprinkled on but I like adding garlic powder to give it a little extra flavor.
Garlic Edamame; Recipe or Not
- 1 cup or so of shelled edamame (find it in the freezer section, thaw according to directions)
- sprinkle of kosher or sea salt
- sprinkle of garlic powder, optional
We had three great reader contributions to this snack series.
– Nuts with or without raisins in the mix (Love this suggestion! I keep nuts at my desk as a quick snack or they are great for on-the-go! Healthy fats & protein. *Thumbs up*)
– Dark chocolate covered almonds (I mean… dark chocolate. Enough said. *Makes mental note to get some for desk snack stash*)
– Smoothie: frozen blueberries and strawberries, half a banana, almond milk, a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, a handful of oats, some chia seeds and a scoop of coconut oil. (Now that’s a power smoothie! Could even be breakfast or a post workout treat. I will be giving this a try!)
Thank you so much to Veronica & Amy for contributing these snacks!
More snacks from Recipe or Not: